Viking Dress (Part 3 – Finishing Green Apron Dress)

Where did we leave off? Ah yes. Making loops.

IMG_20160913_150811866.jpg

Loops and loops and loops and oh hey, more loops!! In the end, we get the above. But trust me, this will be very very worth it. Let’s also remember the sketch of the whole green dress:

concept

 

The top front should be reinforced and smooth, the sides will be gathered so as to evoke “smocking” … which trust me, I am not of a skill or disposition to accomplish.

Once more we break out the interfacing

IMG_20160913_172247362_HDR.jpg

Measure how wide you need it (I went armpit to armpit), and mark the overdress with this length. I marked also the very back with half this width. The rest was deemed “sides” and was marked to be gathered.

IMG_20160913_164653881.jpg

The “side” casing was just big enough to contain my wide (and very modern, shhhh!!) elastic. cut

img_20160913_164504658

The elastic is sewn in to the dress at the interfaced front lining, and in the back panel.

IMG_20160913_164249555_HDR.jpg

Hang on the dress form ….

IMG_20160913_164644410.jpg

And gather! Make sure it’s snug enough to keep shape on the person, but not snug enough to cut off circulation or anything. Gotta be comfortable!

IMG_20160913_165835453.jpg

Pin in place. I ran my seam along where the green pin is, then cut the elastic off there. The edge will be covered by the back panel.

In order to make the gathers even and stable, I stretched it back out after encasing the elastic and ran the longest stitches my machine can make through it – twice.

I’ve also cut the back panel down to size and placed it alongside it’s slot.

IMG_20160913_172537930.jpg

ALWAYS IRON BETWEEN STEPS. Srsly. Iron that shizzznet. Only then can you pin and stitch in place.

IMG_20160913_172927239_HDR.jpg

And now you may step back and admire your handiwork! Though admittedly, it looks a bit out of place right now.  We’ll fix that in a moment. …

IMG_20160913_173414916_HDR.jpg

Because for now we need to attach the sleeves! Measure 5 times, pin, measure again, THEN stitch. Then measure just to make sure you got it right 😛

IMG_20160913_175535089_HDR.jpg

Making sure that one side is just as perfectly long as the other:

IMG_20160913_175444747_HDR.jpg

We decided to bring the straps closer in the back than in the front. It’s stable and flattering.

IMG_20160913_180817565_HDR.jpg

And the dog approves. Which in the end is really all that matters …

IMG_20160913_180851714.jpg

Now, to make those gathers look “in” place, and to tame the “potato sack” silhouette!

IMG_20160913_181504332.jpg

Now I’ll tell you right now – this step took awhile to just get the placement right. We had to decide how much we wanted to bring in, where it was going to be brought in, and what the final silhouette would be. Finally, we were able to settle on a placement. And look how lovely this is now that there is *something* breaking up the line between “gathered” and “non gathered”:

IMG_20160913_181512080.jpg

The cat decided it was her turn to help as well…

IMG_20160913_151752485.jpg

One all is attached and stitched up, we put both dresses on the dress form and laced her up! What a beautiful form-fitted apron dress 😀

IMG_20160913_191917009.jpg

Add the belt….

IMG_20160913_192134214.jpg

Awww yeaahhhhhh… We’re getting there.

IMG_20160913_192225761.jpg

Getting there slowly, but surely!

IMG_20160913_115235317_HDR.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s